Grilled Tuna Sandwich is an easy sandwich to put together for a quick lunch.
I love tuna sandwiches. I always have. When I was a young girl, many years ago, the Texas roadsides were covered in fields of cotton, alfalfa, and wild flowers. Traveling the highways and by-ways to see relatives in distant corners of that big state, my mother would always pack a picnic lunch and we would stop at a roadside park for lunch. It was a joyous day for me when she pulled a jar of tuna salad from the icebox instead of the usual bologna. After a leisurely lunch under a stand of shady elm trees, we would climb back into the Buick and head off to see our aunts, uncles, and cousins. Even today, I remember those lunches by the side of the road and those tuna sandwiches.
But my favorite way to eat a tuna sandwich was grilled. Except in extremely bad weather, we would walk home from school for lunch, and on cold days, my mother would fry up buttery sandwiches filled with tuna salad. It was so-o-o good.
Fast forward all these years, I still love tuna sandwiches. And I still love them grilled. So I was thrilled to discover that I could grill them on a parabolic solar grill.
Grilled Tuna Sandwich on a Solar Grill
I’m pretty sure you already know how to make a grilled tuna sandwich. It’s no different than making a grilled cheese – except of course you use tuna. Oh! and of course you can make a grilled tuna and cheese it you are feeling adventurous!
Focus the solar cooker in the sun and place a grill pan on the fire ring to heat. For each sandwich, you need two slices of your favorite bread. Butter one side of a slice of bread and place it on the hot grill. Spread it with the tuna. You can use your favorite tuna salad recipe or you can use mine. Spread butter on the second slice of bread and place it, buttered side up, on the tuna. Let the first side grill until golden brown. Flip it over and let the second side grill until it is golden brown too. That’s it! Take it off and enjoy. Don’t have a solar cooker? This can be made in a hot skillet on your stove top or camp stove.
- 2 slices firm bread
- 1 TBSP butter or margarine
- Tuna Salad
- 1 (7 oz) can water -packed tuna, drained
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 1 sm dill pickle, chopped
- ⅓ - ½ cup Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- To prepare the tuna:
- Open and drain the can of tuna. Place into a medium size bowl.
- Peel and chop the hard boiled egg. Add it to the tuna.
- Finely chop the dill pickle. Add it to the tuna. Stir to mix.
- Add the Mayonnaise. Add enough to moisten the tuna to your liking. Stir until the ingredients are mixed well.
- To prepare the sandwich:
- Butter one side of the first slice of bread and place face down on a hot grill.
- Spread with half of the tuna mixture.
- Butter one side of the second slice of bread. Place the bread, butter side up, on the tuna.
- Grill the first side, about 2 -3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Flip the sandwich and grill the other side, about 2 -3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from grill and enjoy.
The actual time it takes to grill on a solar grill depends on how hot the grill gets.
I grilled my sandwich on a Solsource solar grill.
If you loved Grilled Tuna Sandwich, please click through to see more grilled sandwich recipes.