I grew up thinking these were really baked beans. My mother would throw this recipe together and bake it in the oven with a ham. I, being the modern woman that I am, adapted this recipe to the crock-pot and then to the microwave. And it served me quite well for 30+ years. And now I “bake” these beans in my solar oven. Okay, this is really just one of those “heat ‘n eat” kind of recipes. But what’s wrong with that?
I baked these beans in the All American Sun Oven. Give them a try and tell me about it.
- 1 can (16 oz) pork 'n beans
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 TBSP ketchup (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp mustard (or more to taste)
- 1 TBSP brown sugar (use less to make it less sweet)
- 4 slices bacon, pre-cooked until crispy, and crumbled
- Pre-heat the solar oven while preparing the recipe.
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the bacon, in a dark solar safe pot. Cover and place into the hot solar oven. Let heat in the solar oven until hot (1 - 2 hours). Top with crumbled bacon bits.