This bread batter is thicky, chunky, and a little bit sticky. Therefore the bread is rich, dense, and moist.
I baked my Walnut Date Bread recipe in an All American Sun Oven. The day was slightly cloudy and 75°F outside. Luckily, I somehow managed to find the only true bright spot in the day, because the clouds started rolling in very shortly after my bread was done. It baked for 1 hour 15 minutes in at an oven temperature of 300°F.
The time it takes to bake in a solar oven will depend on several factors, including the type of oven you are using, the temperature of the oven, and how dedicated you are to keeping the oven focused to the sun. For more information, read How Long Does It Take To Cook In a Solar Oven.
The recipe makes two 8 x 4″ loaves. However, I decided to bake one in the solar oven and one in a Dutch Oven. Click here to find out how well Walnut Date Bread baked in the Dutch Oven.
As always when solar cooking, remember to
Thanks for solar cooking with me and leave me a comment about your favorite quick bread.
Walnut Date Bread Recipe
- 1½ cups chopped dates
- 1½ cups hot water
- 2 TBSP butter
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¾ - 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the solar oven while preparing the ingredients.
- In a bowl, combine the dates, butter and hot water. Let sit for 5 minutes to soften the dates.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Stir to mix.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, and vanilla. Lightly beat the eggs.
- Gently add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add the dates, butter, and hot water mixture to the flour and eggs.
- Add the walnuts to the mixture.
- Gently stir the batter until all is mixed and moistened.
- Pour the batter into 2 8"x4" loaf pans.
- Bake in the pre-heated solar oven until a toothpick comes out clean.
My bread baked for 1 hour 15 minutes at a temperature of 300° F.
To bake in the kitchen, bake at 375 °F for 45 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.